Friday, June 12, 2020

Happy 18th Birthday to Isabel

Dear Isabel,

Your 18th birthday delivered such a dilemma for you this year. How to celebrate and try to feel happy when you - our social butterfly - had your wings clipped by quarantine? Many half-joking, half-serious laments preceded your special day as you considered what the reality might look like. Our plan if quarantine was lifted was to imitate Daddy's birthday celebration with an adults-only luncheon at Aunt Terri's (now that you qualified for this group!) ordering take out from a favorite fancy restaurant. Alas, quarantine was far from lifted and you were the first of our family to be celebrated "only" by the eight of us within our four walls.
However, you exceeded expectations with a remarkably good attitude in the face of disappointment. Perhaps this was your first "adult" achievement! It was certainly a blessing to observe as your mom, especially when I added to the comedy list of errors by ordering your panqueque de naranja from our "cake guy" rather than Jumbo and it resembled not at all the cake you desired and had whipped cream which startlingly you do not like. I'm happy you were able to get a permiso to meet Kari at the grocery store on your birthday and take crazy masked pictures that will probably be way more memorable than any party I could have planned!

I do hope that a certain surprise on your 18th birthday was a blessing to you. I know that it blessed me as I planned and prepared it for you. This year, we asked many people who love you to write letters on your birthday. You heard from your sister, grandparents, cousins, birth family, missionary aunts and uncles and cousins, and special friends from different seasons of your life. As I transposed the words from e-mails to dressed-up documents (for presentation's sake) it was beautiful to read how each person recognized special traits in you that make you uniquely and wonderfully you.

Isabel, I love your giggle + grit and your feisty spirit + fabulous style. I love your big dreams + bold determination. I  love your fearlessness + friendliness. I love that you love mysteries and reading and we can enjoy the same stories. I love that you have risen above too many difficulties and disappointments to take "no" for an answer unless God makes it utterly clear to you. I am expectant and excited for what He will do in and through you, if you give Him first place in your life.

You are 18 years! Our fun-sized; risueña con rulitos; watch out world; senior class of '21 birthday girl. Happy Birthday, Isabel! Daddy and I love you very, very much.

All my love,
Mom

Birthday Posts by Year:

17th Birthday - Isabel
16th Birthday - Isabel
15th Birthday - Isabel
14th Birthday- Isabel
13th Birthday - Isabel
12th Birthday - Isabel
11th Birthday - Isabel
10th Birthday - Isabel
9th Birthday - Isabel
8th Birthday - Isabel
7th Birthday - Isabel
6th Birthday - Isabel
5th Birthday - Isabel

No comments: