Thursday, December 09, 2021

Ian is 14!

Dear Ian,

On your birthday, I posted this to Facebook:

What do we love about Ian? As we circled the table and each answered this question, we heard:

- because he is sensitive and compassionate

- because he is patient

- because he plays with me

- because of his positivity

- because he is creative

- because he works hard with a good attitude

Today we celebrate Ian's 14th birthday and we are so thankful for him! ❤️

What a joy it is to be your mom and see your growth day by day, year by year. I still remember the 9-month old baby Ian we first met in Haiti and spent a week getting to know. I picture the 16-month old Ian who was learning to walk the next time I came. I smile at the 22-month old Ian on my final visit to Haiti who I described as being gentle and easygoing and a comforter to younger babies. In fact, those qualities still remain evident in the young man you are becoming and we love you for them!


For your primary birthday gift this year, you requested a paintball experience. I'm not sure who was more excited, you or your dad! Eight of you geared up to go: you and your brothers Owen and Alec, Dad and Uncle Dave, your cousins Ben and Nathaniel; and our friend Felipe. From all accounts, it was a highly successful outing - lots of refills and lots of paint was splattered! - and everyone had great fun.


For scheduling reasons paintball preceded your birthday by nearly a week, but on your actual day we celebrated with a pile of pizzas from the brand-new Papa John's in Iquique and the company of your cousins. A unique gift we happened to find in a store outside Zofri was a miniature house architecture kit, and that consumed much of your day as you focused on figuring out the intricacies of building! One thing Daddy and I have always observed and admired about you is your ability to focus long stretches of time on an activity that truly interests you.


Ian, it's been a lot of fun during your 13th year of life to watch you develop in many ways, not the least of which has been your work ethic. From working as an assistant to don Guillermo, our city's longtime itinerant knife sharpener, to washing our cars at Daddy's request and then having Uncle Dave and our neighbor ask for your services!

It's also been a blessing as your mom to experience your kindness and empathy, patience and smiles. I will always remember the night our family was riding home from Pica in a dark car and I was crying silently over a certain situation, when you reached over and gently held my hand in comfort. What a gift that was for me, and I pray God continues to mold you into a man of faithful, gentle love for others.

We love you, Ian! Happy 14th Birthday!!

All my love,
Mommy

---------------------------------
Birthday Posts by Year:

No comments: