Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reading Update: 2011 Book List

In an effort to continue a practice I began last year, I am posting a list of books read in the year 2011. Unfortunately, I was only able to post a full "book report" on about half of these although most if not all deserved one!

1. Bringing Up Girls by Dr. James Dobson

2. Women First, Family Always by Kathryn Samsone

3. The Lotus and the Cross by Ravi Zacharias

4. Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson

5. Toddler Adoption by Mary Hopkins-Best

6. Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers

7. Twenty Things ... by Sherrie Eldridge

8. The Wild-Bird Child by Derick Bingham

9. Here Burns My Candle & Mine Is the Night by Liz Curtis Higgs
These two novels are set against the backdrop of 18th-century Scotland, yet serve as a "modern" retelling of the Biblical story of Ruth. Truthfully, it wasn't until the second book that I realized this but I thoroughly enjoyed both stories. I especially appreciated the exploration of the mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship. Surely there was a great deal of depth and growth in the Biblical women's relationship that we never really consider, and it was intriguing to do so through these well-written Christian novels and fictional characters.
10. Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo
I was skeptical going into this book, the story of an almost 4-year old boy's memories of Heaven following life-threatening illness and surgery. Yet I found it very thought-provoking and well worth the time to read and consider. I appreciated the humble way it was written and presented by the boy's father who is the pastor of a small Wesleyan church.
11. Heaven by Randy Alcorn
Coincidentally I have also been reading this comprehensive volume based on years of study by the author, which seeks to provide a thoroughly Biblical answer to questions about Heaven. I've not yet finished it but it has certainly opened my eyes and my heart to a picture of eternity with Christ that is far greater and more beautiful that I had previously imagined.
12. A Praying Life by Donald Miller
This book which I am still in the process of reading, has touched my heart deeply as it reminds me that prayer is ultimately about my relationship with the One to whom I pray. It is sensitively written and gently woos the reader towards a changed understanding of what prayer truly should be.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I always enjoy reading book lists! I also really enjoyed The Praying Life also and will reread it at some point. I have never heard of #2, so will check it out.

Happy New Year,
Amy @ Missional Mama

Noella said...

I get a lot of my reading list books from you. Appreciate your recommendations! I'm reading a book right now, that after reading your Christmas post made me think of you. If you have not read "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp you need to add it to your 2012 list. Such a blessing!! Happy final week in Chile. Praying for you all.