Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Happy 6th Birthday, Alec Stephen!

photo 2013, copyright Hernan Montero (photographer)

Dear Alec,

Recently you and I spent a morning looking at videos from when you had just come home to us. It was so fun. The memories made you giggle and made me fall in love with you all over again! But I was struck by how much has changed in such a short time. Back then, you mimicked everything Ian said and he often tried to speak for you. Now, there's not a chance of that happening! You are definitely your own man.

You want so much to be able to do everything big brother Owen does. There's a reason Mommy affectionately calls you my "viejo chico!" :) While there are still some areas where you must wait to grow up, you excel in those areas where you can. I love to see you with your homework notebooks from Kindergarten. "Mom, I have homework," you announce in that trying-to-sound-disappointed-but-secretly-happy-and-proud-of-myself voice of yours. You slap your work on the table and bustle about finding pencils without points so you have an excuse to try and operate the big pencil sharpener. With careful strokes you trace your letters, because you are generally a meticulous and perfectionist kind of guy. No amount of hurrying will move you from your slow and steady focus! (This is one of the many qualities that impresses me about you!)

Mr. Serious may be your public persona, but we get the benefit of seeing Mr. Rough-and-Tumble and hearing Mr. Peals-of-Laughter at home. Nothing gets you giggling like Daddy's tickles or big sister Isabel's teasing. And you like nothing better than putting on your "Army guy" costume and waging war with Ian, or trying out your latest Jackie Chan moves on Owen! 

But I am glad that for Mommy, you save your sweet smiles, hugs and snuggles. I am so proud of the smart, sensitive little boy you have become. I know God has great things in store for you! My prayer for you this year is that you will transfer the "head knowledge" you have about Jesus to a true understanding in your heart. That would be the greatest birthday present ever!

Happy 6th Birthday, Alec Stephen! We love you so much.

Love, 
Mommy

More birthday posts:

5th Birthday - Alec
4th Birthday - Alec
3rd Birthday - Alec
2nd Birthday - Alec
1st Birthday - Alec

No comments: