Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Wishing My Husband a Happy Birthday

To my beloved husband, 

It's that time of year again. The week of birthdays, with yours snuggled right in between two others. Last night our house was bursting at the seams with dear friends helping to celebrate our son's special day. I asked if you wanted a repeat of the excitement for your birthday, but as expected you said a quiet celebration was enough for you! :)


It's something I love about you, the fact that you are steady and consistent and predictable (in the very good sense of the word!) You are not about hype or show, but I also love that you can make a crowd laugh with your unexpected jokes and that you don't take yourself too seriously to have lots of fun when the occasion calls for it. I love how these qualities have endeared you to the people of our church, especially our young adults with their tales of Pastor Pedro's "Radio IBM" and the story of the marraqueta yelling "hallullame!"


But I especially love that you save the best humor for us at home. I love hearing you tease our kids in that semi-serious way where others might not know if you mean it or not, but they know their Daddy well enough to tease right back! The day of the picture below, you were sick at home but still took time to play Legos with the kids. You were bantering back and forth as you worked and I wished my picture was 4D so that I could always remember how sweet that moment was!


We have had many sweet moments because of you. And in the hard moments, we have felt safe because of you. I think of how you twice accompanied Eva in the darkness and chaos after the earthquake in search of the dog, just because it meant so much to her. I remember so many times when Isabel cried out at night because of pain in her legs, and you were the one to comfort her. 

Today, on your birthday, I hope you know how much you are loved and appreciated.

I am so thankful to be able to celebrate each new year at your side, and look forward to all the adventures yet to come for our family! I pray that God continues to give you wisdom, patience, and enthusiasm daily through His Word. Thank you for your example of sacrifice, true friendship and joy as you serve Him, our family and others.

Happy Birthday, my Sweets!

Love, Stephanie

No comments: