Friday, November 11, 2011

National Adoption Month: Missionary Story

This video shares the story of a missionary couple who followed God's call to missions even when it seemed that in so doing they were closing the door to their hearts' desire of becoming parents. I do not know the family personally and their identities are kept confidential in the video (presumably for security reasons in their part of the world.)

Nevertheless their story resonated with me because I remember well the discouragement I experienced in 2007 when it seemed that our departure to Chile was also a departure from the possibility of ever adopting again. Looking back through old posts I found a wordless photo of the crib we were dismantling after a year of hoping and waiting for it to be filled, as well as a poem written with tears at that time. While we were excited to finally realize the dream of serving God in missions, a piece of my heart was broken to think my dream of another child might be over.

Of course, God had our story already written and eventually it would include not one more child, but two ... and not from the United States or even from Chile, but from faraway Haiti. I did not know that then, and neither did this missionary couple know what chapters God had written for their story when they stepped out in obedience to His call. Yet God is so faithful ... and watching this reminded me all over again.

"Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

LL Video: Adoption Story from Last Letter on Vimeo.

No comments: