Sunday, November 13, 2011

National Adoption Month: Christela's Story

I hope I will be forgiven if I write about Haitian adoptions more than others during this National Adoption Month. It is our most recent reality, and still brings many emotions to the surface. Even so, there are days on end when I somehow forget the journey - the tears and the fears and the miracles - and that is another reason I write. Because as Psalm 111:4 says, "He has made his wondrous works to be remembered." We must never forget!

The story of Christela's birth is a heartbreaking one. I remember reading of this newborn baby's miraculous rescue from a pit latrine soon after it took place. This short video bears witness to that event. But glory be to God that her story does not end there! Today Christela has a family who loves her - a mom and a dad and a brother (also adopted from Haiti.)

I ran across her family's blog recently and was so blessed by the love and joy and commitment that characterizes their life together. There are so many encouraging posts, but three in particular that I would like to share here. They are the story of Christela's birth; and two conversations Christela and her mom have had about her story.


Is there any doubt God was present with this tiny baby girl? Is there any doubt that He cares for the orphan? I am reminded of the words in Psalm 40:2-3 "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song of praise in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the LORD and put their trust in Him."

What a God we serve. He is power; He is wisdom; He is love. He is present in our heartaches and provider of our joys, for "every good and perfect gift comes from above ..." (James 1:17) How can we not praise Him? All glory to His great and mighty name!

No comments: