Saturday, October 10, 2020

The Father Hath Provided Again (Part Two)

Our family has lived in Chile since 2007 except for every four to five years when we return stateside for just under a year to report to supporting churches, reconnect with family, pursue additional training and visit new churches as God opens doors. In 2012, we spent the first half of our time living in Michigan and the second half living in Delaware. In 2017-2018, we settled in one place near my parents in Pennsylvania due to my dad's health and the need we perceived for our children to do a stable year of traditional school. This was a valuable period in many ways as we sought educational testing for one child, biblical counseling for another, and when not traveling we soaked in the spiritual refreshment of my parents' new home church (due to relocating in their retirement years.) Little did we know the special role this church would play in our family's life then and on my 2020 trip to the United States with Eva and Isabel.

Soon after purchasing our tickets in June for August travel, I reached out to their pastor's wife to ask if she might know of someone in the area or the church with a basement apartment or guest house where we might affordably stay. I also mentioned our need to possibly rent or borrow a vehicle for local driving but also to reach Eva's school six hours away. Her response was immediate and encouraging as she stated, "We will do all we can to help make all this happen." She mentioned the possibility of staying with them or in a church family's guest apartment. At the time we believed quarantine would be required and it was only later that we learned she was prepared to move out of her own house for two weeks if that was what we needed! And in fact, it was her own car that she did without for three entire weeks so that we could do our shopping and commute between the guest apartment and my parents' home. This unhesitating willingness to help someone she hardly knew as a means of God's provision was again so humbling and also inspiring. In addition to this very practical help, she was a sounding board and prayer support at a point of crisis with my parents' needs, suggesting and coordinating some helpful resources. And towards the end of our time stateside, we enjoyed a delicious meal and fellowship she provided for my mom, Isabel and me at her daughter's home so that Isabel could reconnect with her friend and former youth leader. Her graciousness was despite many challenges and responsibilities within her own family at the same time, which spoke volumes to me.


Another woman of inestimable grace and blessing to us was our friend Crystal. A longtime missionary to Chile and now the director of several pregnancy centers in Pennsylvania, she has a heart of service and a tremendous work ethic. But beyond that, she has a tender mother's heart especially for MKs (missionary kids.) Having sent three of her own off to college and grown up life, she knows how hard that can be and offered to both my sister and me her help with our firstborn children going to school this year. First, she drove to Virginia where her daughter lives and where my nephew began his studies. She coordinated housing and was a comforting friend in emotional days of transition. Then, she hosted my daughters and me overnight to her home in Pennsylvania on our way to Eva's school. She cheerfully welcomed Isabel's company for another three days and allowed her to come alongside her ministry in the pregnancy centers while I got Eva settled. And 1 1/2 weeks later she traveled the four hours each way from her home to Miracle Mountain Ranch to stand in for us on parent orientation weekend and provide much-needed encouragement to Eva at a difficult time. Her commitment goes on and we know that our daughter is in caring and able hands with "Aunt Crystal" while we are far away. God's grace in providing this special person in Eva's life, and her willingness to add more responsibilities to an already very full life, is an incredible evidence of the Father's loving provision.


I am so thankful that not only has God placed His people in our path as an instrument and expression of His love and care to us, but He has done so for my parents as well. I mentioned in a previous post the financial consultant from my parents' church who came alongside me and my mom at the time of my dad's hospitalization. His patient explanation of so many things that were outside my limited knowledge - and his willingness to make phone calls and create forms to sign and commit to helping my parents even after I was gone - lifted such a burden of concern for my sisters and me. His help was not something new, because every year he sits down with my parents at no charge to help them determine the Medicare plan that is most affordable and best for their needs. But his care for them is an act of worship and faith, as he told us that when God leads him to help in this way he trusts God to make up the difference (and He always does.) He gave us many hours of his time on both workdays and weekdays and through him the Father truly provided again.

Then, as we were organizing all this paperwork under his supervision it became apparent we were missing important documents that we could only suppose were somewhere back in Delaware (my parents' previous home for many years.) Here again God used His people to bless us in a such a special way. We could not locate the person we thought would have the documents, but we knew who had referred him to my parents in the first place. This brother in Christ with a longtime connection to my parents not only located the person we needed, but personally drove to his office to retrieve the documents and then went the extra mile to drive all the way to Lancaster with his wife and mother-in-law to deliver them and say hello. What a gift of time and kindness to do such a thing!

I would be remiss if I did not mention one other special person God has used, especially in my mom's life. That is her dear friend Nancy who is only a phone call away every time Mom needs her. She is a strong and stable, caring and compassionate woman and I so thankful she and her husband are in my parents' lives!

I could go on and I will, in (Part Three.)

Previous Post:

Part One


No comments: