Sunday, September 09, 2007

And This Is Eva

She is growing up so fast, right before my very eyes. And then there are sweet moments, like tonight before bed, when she crawls up in my lap like a little girl and holds me around my neck and wants me to just snuggle and rock her for a long time …

I know today was a challenge for her. From 10:30 am – 4:30 pm, so many people, all speaking Spanish and wanting her to respond to them. I got frustrated with her at times. I wanted her to at least smile, to somehow express that she wasn’t spoiled or snobby or standoffish … When the other little girls came over to try out their English on her, I wanted her to interact with them instead of turning around and hiding her face in my shirt.

But I was very proud of her when her name was called to join a group for games, and she took off on her own and stood there in the midst of everyone and was willing to be the first contestant in the sack race, of all things! She did it, even though it was her first time ever and she didn’t understand a word that was being spoken to her.


I suppose we will have many more days like these before the transition is complete. Moments of sheer frustration followed by moments of complete parental pride.

And I don’t want to miss any of them.

No comments: