Sunday, January 22, 2023

A Special Final Season

Our family started with two sweet girls, followed by four active boys. Those who told me "boys are different than girls" were proven right. From the very beginning, our boys were energetic, playful, and competitive. Fast forward to the teenage years (for three of them) and in some ways, not much has changed! 

This year, Owen is a senior in high school and for the third time in the past fifteen years we find ourselves on furlough/stateside ministry. Having a child complete high school in the US is new to us. Having a male child graduating is a first as well. And having sons in American competitive sports is certainly a unique (to us) experience!

Recently at Owen's basketball game, I was struck by a wave of nostalgia as I reflected on the many and varied opportunities God has allowed me to be a sports spectator throughout his seventeen years of life. Of course, in Chile there was soccer and the picture on the left was his very first team uniform at 4 years old. But there was also aikido; handball; track and field; even one singular experience with sailing! All in good fun and simply for seasons, some longer than others. 

Now as his time at home comes to an end, I am thankful for one last season of sitting in the stands and cheering him on. I will readily admit feeling like the least knowledgeable parent in the sports arena. As a newcomer, I'm also anonymous and that makes it kind of fun when I get to overhear things like, "What's his name?" "Owen Garcia." "He's a missionary kid!"

While his height (6'3" at 17 years old) provides an advantage for the game of basketball, Owen's lack of experience playing sports in the United States does make for a challenge. Also, he is playing on a team with several very talented teammates who have been together since elementary school and can naturally read each other's minds and moves on the court each game. However, he is working really hard and it is starting to show. 

Something very fun has been experiencing the enthusiasm of the school's student section during home games. I found myself surprised by the loud cheer that went up when Owen subbed into the game this week, and even more so when I realized what the kids were chanting was "OG, OG, OG, OG!" (OG - his initials - is the nickname Owen received from the school soccer coach while playing for him in the fall.) I love hearing the students encourage the team, and observing the players encouraging one another. Seeing the players treat the opposing team with respect and fairness is so important.

To be completely honest, Owen is less than keen on my writing this post tonight. He stated that my blog should be put in an "internet lockbox" because it contains his entire life story (that might be a slight exaggeration.) He asked what motivates me to write here, and I hope someday he realizes the motivation is simply a mom's love for her family. That, and utter gratefulness to God for him, his sisters and his brothers. I write to chronicle a special final season that I never wish to forget.

No comments: