Sunday, January 01, 2012

Toddler Theology, Part One


"Mommy, I can be handsome?"


I had just finished what I felt was an incredibly compelling re-telling of the Biblical story of David, from his humble beginnings as overlooked youngest son and brave shepherd boy, to his anointing as king of Israel. Ian and Alec had listened intently and interjected many of their own firmly-held beliefs such as, "No, the lion not bad! He a good boy!" (when I related how David killed the lion with his slingshot to protect the sheep.)


Now I had finally reached the culmination of the story, the part where Samuel examines each of David's older brothers and is duly impressed by how handsome or how strong they are, only to be told that "man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7.) With great fervor I reminded the boys that David was special because He loved God, because he obeyed God, because he wrote songs to God and talked to God. So God chose David because His heart was right!

It was then, as the story ended and silence fell and I felt somewhat proud of myself for taking the time to give this great lesson to my toddlers, that Alec looked down at his bare belly and asked: "Mommy, I can be handsome?"


When he asked that and looked at himself I immediately remembered an incident that happened a few days ago. I was drawing "portraits" of the boys for their amusement, and I drew Alec with shorts and a bare belly and a little circle for his belly button (he has a small umbilical hernia which looks like a larger-than-usual "outie.") When Alec saw the picture, he immediately said, "Mom-my! Please put a shirt on!" I mentioned it to Pedro and we chuckled, but then he remarked that he's noticed Alec has been very observant of other people's "innies" these days.

And then there was tonight. Apparently I got my dates wrong. I thought it was theology night, but it would seem I was scheduled for the self-esteem session instead!

The answer is, yes, my darling son, you can be handsome. And you certainly are to me.

(But obedient would be quite lovely, too!)

No comments: