Monday, May 18, 2009

I'm Waiting for a Phone Call

... from the Chilean Health Department, or something of the sort. The lab that did my nasal aspiration this morning called. (Yes, I did go back and do it. I took Pedro for moral reinforcement. His presence seemed to make the nurse nicer. But he almost passed out afterwards!)

Anyway, the good news is that that test for respiratory viruses is negative. However, with the H1N1 scare going on worldwide and the first reported case reaching Chile this week, they are obligated to inform the department when a foreigner is tested.

Yay. This just gets funner and funner.

As it stands, so far all the tests are negative as far as I can read them. We waited an hour at the doctor's office for a nurse to arrive this morning, but when I couldn't stand the heat and discomfort a minute more I asked another doctor's nurse what my doctor's hours are (since I wasn't told on the last visit and couldn't find them listed anywhere) and she told me Monday-Friday, 5 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

We would have been waiting a long time.

So now we're back at home. I spent the weekend alternating between feverish sleep and soaking cold sweats. The cough is minimal, but I still feel like I'm not breathing deeply and my body feels very tired and weak.

I am about ready to take my friend's offer to obtain another doctor's order for a chest x-ray (her sister is a nurse and could get one for me) and do it on my own. That way at least we'd know if it could be walking pneumonia or if that is something else to rule out.

Before my parents came down, I ordered a 4-cd compilation of Selah songs, many of them hymns. The harmonies are beautiful. One in particular stood out to me today in the midst of all of this:

Press On

When the valley is deep
When the mountain is steep
When the body is weary
When we stumble and fall

When the choices are hard
When we're battered and scarred
When we've spent our resources
When we've given our all

Chorus:
In Jesus' name, we press on
In Jesus' name, we press on
Dear Lord, with the prize
Clear before our eyes
We find the strength to press on

In Jesus' name, we press on
In Jesus' name, we press on
Dear Lord, with the prize
Clear before our eyes
We find the strength to press on
To press on

2 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

I'm SO sorry that you're having to go through all of this. : ( But I'm sure that you're growing closer to Him during this time.
I'm only 17... but I learn alot by watching (or reading!!) the testimonies of women that are facing trails in their lives. Thank you so much for sharing!

Keep Smiling for Jesus,

Sarah Beth
"The Other Side"

Karen said...

We are praying for all of you as you "press on." Thanks for keeping us informed.

Your Bridge Bible Church Family