Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ministry Update - Stephanie

In addition to preparing and packing for Haiti, I find myself facing a busy week of ministry responsibilities! This semester I opted not to teach at the seminary due to our upcoming move, but said I would be willing to fill in a time or two for one specific course. The first of those "fill in" dates is tomorrow, when I am supposed to be talking to the ladies about counseling methods (or more specifically, how to conduct their first interview with a counselee.) Since my only experience in this was my peer counseling opportunities at our local crisis pregnancy center in Michigan, I feel rather unqualified! Additionally, there were no notes provided for this particular class so I have been searching through Biblical counseling websites and other good books for material I can translate and use for the class. If you happen to think of me Monday morning, pray for me! I will need it. I've also been asked to speak to a ladies' group on Tuesday!

Even more pressing is a conference that I agreed to organize and for which I am trying to quickly put together a letter and flier for our Chilean churches prior to leaving for Haiti! I have a list of all of our pastors and need to call each one personally to invite them and hopefully give them a glimpse of the importance of this event. We have invited Evelyn Stone, one our ABWE missionaries in Peru, to speak on the subject of "Conscience & Compassion: The Crisis of Abortion, The Sanctity of Life, & Our Responsibility as Believers." Evelyn started the first pregnancy care centers that we know of in Latin America, and she now also serves as an international consultant for Baptists for Life. With Chile and Peru having the highest abortion rates in Latin America, this is truly a crisis for our churches but sadly one about which most Chilean believers are unaware. Please be in prayer for God to do great things through this event! The conference will take place the first weekend of September, just 1 1/2 weeks after our return from Haiti.

Thank you for praying!

No comments: