Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Slice of Life: Time

This is a post that I have been meaning to write for quite awhile. I was just reminded of it a few moments ago when I looked at the clock and saw that it was after 11:00 pm and I have no idea where my husband is at the present time. I do know he is on visitation with our Chilean pastor; I just don't know where exactly nor when I should expect him to arrive home!

I should make the point that a late night lifestyle is the norm in Chile and consequently, it becomes the norm in ministry life here. For example, our midweek prayer meeting does not even start until 8 pm at night! And just for fun, compare the schedule of a ladies' meeting/Bible study at your church in the States to ours here in Chile. Last Tuesday -

Ladies' meeting was scheduled to begin at 7:30 pm
Ladies' meeting ended at 11:00 pm
I arrived home after 11:30 pm

When Pedro took his recent trip to Iquique, he spoke at the midweek prayer meeting - then after prayer meeting, headed to a home Bible study. He finished at 2 am! On Saturday night, the youth group had an activity. It ended at midnight. And so on, and so forth.

Fortunately, Pedro and I tend to do late nights anyway, but with young children it is difficult to maintain that schedule. Since our kids have to be up early for school the next day, they (and I) do not attend midweek prayer meeting with Pedro. But consider the dedication of our national pastor and wife. They obviously both attend every service at the church, and they are the first to arrive and the last to leave. In addition, they both work as religion teachers in the public school system several days a week, from 8 am to 8 pm. On a day like today, Pastor Cristian leaves work at 8 pm, and then starts visitation! With that in mind, please pray for strength and stamina for those doing God's work here in Chile.

(And on that note, I hear our car arriving. My husband is safely home. Yay!)

No comments: