Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The Everyday

I have had many moments of introspection of late. One morning as the five of us gathered in the kitchen for a quick breakfast before school, I listened to the teasing and laughing (and yes, even whining) and realized that what I would miss most from our life together, is the everyday.

The simple things, like

… laughter around the breakfast table
… Isabel rubbing the sleep out of her eyes in the morning
… laying down with Owen at naptime
… the girls’ stories from their day at school
… Daddy playing football with our son
… the kids making a fort in the front yard
… Eva working on homework with Daddy
… Owen yanking on my arm, yelling “Watch, Mommy, watch!” over and over again
… Isabel wanting to help cook dinner
… Eva’s endless questions about what we are going to do next

and so many other moments that are part of the everyday.

Simple Joys

It’s the simple things I’d miss
If my time on earth were through
Laughter ‘round the table
And talking late with you

It’s the simple joys I cherish
Listening in on childish play
Tucking children in their beds
At the end of every day

It’s the simple scenes I picture
Doing homework side by side
Childish drawings on the fridge
Going for a walk outside

Even laundry in a pile
Or the dishes to be done
Would be a dear reminder
Of each and every one

So I’ll treasure every moment
Of this day that’s mine to live
For the simple joys are sweetest
And for now they’re mine to give

-shg 03.31.08

3 comments:

areader said...

Loved the poem. You surely do live in the moment.

areader said...

Loved the poem. You surely do live in the moment.

Alisha said...

Thanks for the reminder - I try to make a daily effort to enjoy each and every little thing.