Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I Love This Kid


These days, I don't think there is anyone who can make me smile so readily as this kid.

He is just plain fun, and very funny.

I look at him and am amazed, even occasionally moved to tears, when I think of how quickly he has grown from a 4lb, 9oz preemie to the strong, active little boy he is today. I kept one of his first preemie outfits and it is hanging on his bedroom wall. I look at it and sometimes wish that for just an hour I could go back and hold him like I did those first weeks that we were together. But on the other hand, I wouldn't trade the moments of laughter and joy that he brings to us at this stage of his life!

He has such a sense of humor and timing. His smile lights up a room. His hugs just about knock you over (they are usually preceded by a running start.) His laughter is unrestrained and full of happiness. His love for adventure is unquenchable. He throws himself down stairs, jumps off chairs, and hides under beds. He tears around the yard with the dog in hot pursuit.

He is sweet. When he unexpectedly gives his sisters hugs, or says "I love you Mommy!" it completely melts my heart. When he sings along with our special goodnight song, it makes my heart smile. When he squeezes his arms around my neck, I hang on and wish the moment would last forever.

He is very independent. He knows his own opinions and states them emphatically. Lately, he doesn't want to be called "sweetie" or "baby" or "brother" or any other name but corrects you firmly and says, "No, I am OWEN!!" When told that he needs to start potty training, he simply responds, "No, I DON'T WANT TO." But when corrected, he usually responds fairly quickly with "Okay, Mommy. Yes, Mommy."

There is so much more that I could say about him. I could say how blessed I feel every time I look at his face, at his high cheekbones and smooth dark skin and intelligent eyes. I could say how amazed I still am about how God brought him into our lives so unexpectedly and with such a rich heritage on the part of his birthmother. I could write about the dreams and hopes I have for him to grow up and become a godly, strong man who follows Christ with all his heart.

But I guess all I really want to say in closing is ... I just love this kid!

No comments: