Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Sayings from Silas, Part 2

(While impatiently waiting outside the oral surgeon's office one evening.) "Mommy, what are those things women have on their legs? They seem interesting to me, like I want to scratch them." -Silas, age 6, on stockings



Once Alec and Silas were talking about sleepovers. Alec told Silas they're only fun if you're with fun people. To which Silas replied, "Yeah! Like the Fishers!" (his aunt, uncle and cousins who live two doors down.)

Early morning wisdom from Silas: "It's a good thing God made the water before the fish!"

"I think we went to the most famous cancha in Iquique, in the world! I think the most famous cancha in the world is in Iquique." -Silas, enthusiastically after his first PE class


Pedro asked Silas how his first day of school went and he responded, "Great! I didn't toot once!"

I prayed in the car for Silas' day at jardin. He said, "You could have told me you were going to pray!" Then he added, "I was like, 'What in the blue moon?!'"

Poor Silas asks me on the way to church this morning, "Mom, why did one of my teeth stop growing and turn into a triangle with spikes?" (Hence the need for oral surgery at age six!)

"I'm tech-lickly awake, but I have my eyes closed. So I am asleep but I am awake." -Silas at 1:30 AM in bed after desert star gazing



"Mom, I thought resting was with your eyes open and sleeping was with your eyes closed." -Silas (who chose option #1)

For some reason, Silas wanted me to drop a 10-peso coin to the floor when he was a distance away. Come to find out, as he excitedly declared, "I am like Dolores from Encanto! She can hear a pin drop, and I can hear a coin drop!"




Silas likes to talk about when he will be married someday. This week, his conversation with Daddy let to a discussion of how many children he would have. Silas said he'd like to have two, "One boy, one girl, and twins" which as he described them, Pedro realized he meant conjoined twins! Silas explained, "Once I saw a video of them and thought they were really neat." Our takeaway from this was to be grateful for Silas' tender heart! (In fact, I did share a video interview of conjoined twins and other videos of special children with him because I hoped to dispel fear and create a natural acceptance of visible differences.)


Today I took Silas to the barbershop where his brothers get their hair done. It was a longer-than-usual experience for him, and his cut required not only the electric clippers but also edges with a razor blade. Overall he did well but was noticeably tense and a little antsy. So I was surprised when he happily declared that his haircut felt like a "fiery, warm tub" but he liked it!

A random declaration from Silas: "For my birthday this year, I don't want a cake. I want something yummy and 'saludable.' (healthy) We can put candles in cupcakes!" Adding, "And we can have a fruit turkey!" (This after seeing pictures of Kristi Flinck's 1999 wedding reception yesterday and being VERY impressed by that edible work of art!)

No comments: