Monday, June 06, 2022

The End of an Era

In two months we will celebrate the 15th anniversary of our family's arrival to Chile.

We crossed the threshold of the Santiago airport on August 24, 2007 with three children in tow: Eva, age 6; Isabel, age 5; Owen, age 2. (This photo was taken en route to Chile on our unplanned 48-hour layover in Canada.) Over the next decade God would graciously double our number of children, but this trio was the original gang of Garcias to set foot first in Santiago, and then in Iquique on January 6, 2009.


Which makes it so hard to believe that in just this one four-year term, we will have sent all three "permanently" off to the United States. I put "permanently" in quotes because only God knows what the future holds! But for the foreseeable future, Chile will no longer be their home.

Despite the fact that Owen will live with us his senior year on our furlough stateside, his early departure tomorrow (for summer ministry at Miracle Mountain Ranch) while knowing he won't be returning to Chile after furlough has precipitated a lot of emotion for us as parents. Surprisingly, my often less-than-sentimental husband has been the one to initiate a number of conversations about it. I suppose this throws me a bit off-balance, as I've learned to depend on his being the sturdy one in these situations! But it also deepens my appreciation for my husband who is a father who profoundly loves and cherishes his children, even if he doesn't always express it through many words.


This picture was taken during our first couple of weeks living in Iquique. How grateful I am for the memories of raising these three kiddos and their subsequent siblings here. It's not always been easy - in fact, there has been quite a lot of heartache and imperfection along the way. The Iquique that our children are leaving is not the same city to which they arrived, although the need that prompted us to serve here is the same or even greater. Yet isn't that how life is? Not static nor stationary but moving ever forward to destinations sometimes of our choosing and sometimes not. 

Most importantly, we can trust the Conductor who delivers us safely to each station and stays by our side through it all.

Tomorrow closes an era in our family's life in Chile. But the same God Who first brought us here will continue to lead each member of our family, each step of the way as we allow Him. My heart's desire for my children is found in a song from yesterday's church service. (It was coincidentally Owen's final time playing bass guitar as part of "Pipe y los Gringos," our affectionate name for the music team comprised of Felipe Olivares; our sons Owen, Ian and Alec; and nephew Nathaniel.)


For a long time I searched for
A reason to live
Amidst a thousand questions
Your love replied to me

And now I see the Light
And I'm no longer afraid
Your kingdom came to my life
And now I live for You

I will sing of Your love
I will surrender my heart before You
You will be my passion
And my steps will be guided by Your voice
My Jesus and my King
Of Your great love I will sing

Surrendering to the Kingship of Christ and passionately pursuing Him is the greatest path a person can take in life on this earth! Whether in Chile or anywhere else in our world, I pray all my children will find in Him the purpose for which they were created and a fulfillment their whole lives long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Time truly flies.