Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas from Chile

This may be the first Christmas we have spent completely separated from extended family in the thirteen Christmases since we have been married.

Today has been a different sort of day. Not as smooth as I would have hoped, with disappointing news from Haiti and the everyday chores of a messy little household of five who will be hosting guests for dinner tomorrow. As I worked I decided that the beauty of Christmas with family is that even though you have the same chores to do, you get to share them amongst yourselves and chitchat while you work. It made me miss being with my sisters in my mom's kitchen like I have been on so many other Christmases.

I was impatient more than I would have liked; I was hot and tired as I mopped floors and scrubbed bathtubs; I spent awhile in self-imposed "timeout" to cry some tears alone over the unrealized hope of having our boys home this Christmas and to berate myself for ever having believed it would happen in the first place.

We did accomplish the goal of taking homemade cookies to our neighbors (although half were not home and we had to leave them with the maids instead.) I calculated that in a 24-hour period I baked and gave away 210 cookies. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself! (Okay, half of those were no-bakes. I admit that is sort of cheating.)

Fortunately the day ended on a good note, for we had planned something we hoped would be special for the kids and indeed it was. Since Chileans celebrate Christmas at the stroke of midnight (even as I write it is 11:17 p.m. and one of Owen's friends is asking for him at the front gate!) we decided not to try for an early night but to go out after dark to the beach and read the Christmas story together under the stars.

We cuddled on a blanket spread out on the sand, and as the waves crashed in front of us we sang Christmas carols and talked about the things each one of us is thankful to Jesus for this year. It was a sweet time and perhaps the beginning of a new Christmas tradition for our family!

Now I must carry out the one tradition that never changes - wrapping last-minute gifts to go in the stockings and under the tree. 'Twas the night before Christmas and my children are already "nestled all snug in their beds" and morning will soon be upon us! Merry Christmas to each one of you and especially to our family from afar. We love and miss you.

P.S. Be sure and read this Christmas post by my friend Tonya. She is one who certainly understands what it is like to spend Christmas in changing places and circumstances!

No comments: