Monday, November 09, 2009

National Adoption Month: Introducing

Those who have been around this blog in recent years know that November is a very prolific month on here. In fact, according to my archives the highest number of posts ever written in one month on the blog was in November 2007 (with 80 posts, although not all were adoption-related.)

While adoption is always a prominent theme in our lives, during National Adoption Month I enjoy writing about it even more. Sometimes I might share experiences we ourselves have faced but often I like to direct you to the stories of other families and ministries that inspire and challenge me.

I've decided to entitle this series "National Adoption Month: Introducing" and will share a little each time about a different family or ministry, along with a link to their site. I hope you will be blessed as I have been by "meeting" each one.

Before doing so, however, I want to share a little bit from my heart.

Last November, I had several conversations with my sister who said that my many adoption posts made her feel a bit guilty. Though she has a heart for adoption, God has chosen to grow her family biologically instead. Her comments gave me pause and made me want to share the following.

While adoption may be the focus of my posts because that is my personal experience, nowhere in God's Word does it say that every Christian must go out and adopt. However, the Bible very clearly emphasizes the importance of believers caring for the orphans and widows (James 1:27.) (Even as I was writing this, I stumbled on the blog of another adoptive family who stated it better than I, and I encourage you to go read that post.)

I believe many Christians are caring for orphans in ways outside of adoption. It may be through prayer, or giving, or working with children from broken homes in children's ministries at home or on the mission field. Many others care for the orphan by supporting an adoptive family throughout their adoption journey. This has certainly been true in our experience. Those who have left encouraging notes on our blog; who have prayed and even fasted for our family; who have donated time and energy to helping with our fundraising efforts; who have cried alongside us through the long wait and the disappointments; who have given gifts both large or small; and who have welcomed our children home with so much love and compassion ... each of those - each of you - have loved the orphan through loving us.

And I just want to say thank you ... so very, very much.

No comments: