Sunday, August 17, 2008

Blogging from the ICU, Part Two

Actually, as of approximately 4 p.m this afternoon Owen and I moved from our corner in the ICU to our own private room (the same one from our last visit!) Interesting day. I don't think I have looked forward to a shower so much in a long time - that was pretty much first on my list when Pedro came to visit us this evening! For some unknown reason, the ICU is kept highly heated. Since I was wearing a turtleneck and sweat pants, and also because Owen and I shared his hospital bed last night, both of us were melting. At least he was able to strip down to a diaper (although much to his chagrin - he did not want to wear one since he is now a "big boy!")

Owen is doing much better today. His night was rough, and he received regular nebulizer treatments as well as being kept on oxygen until this afternoon. Since then he has been able to keep his oxygen saturated and his mood has definitely improved! He is very anxious to go home and disappointed to have to spend one more night hooked up to monitors. He may have one more test tomorrow, an x-ray to determine whether his adenoids have grown back since his surgery in Texas. The nurses detected several apneas last night, something we have noticed at home as well.

Thank you so much for your prayers! As an aside, I witnessed something very beautiful while in the ICU. In the cubicle next to us - separated by a clear glass wall - was a tiny baby boy, all alone. I overheard the nurses talking and understood that he was being placed for adoption. It broke my heart to see him lying in a big hospital bed with no one there to hold him and love on him! But today a couple arrived, and again I overheard the nurses whispering to one another that they were the baby's new parents. I tried not to be intrusive but due to the proximity I caught many glimpses of the couples' first interaction with their precious little son. It reminded me so much of when we met two of our children connected to wires and monitors in the hospital for the first time! What a beautiful moment.

1 comment:

Rick and Heather said...

Praying for you...so sorry for all the difficulty you are going through right now -- I'm sure you must feel torn at times. Hugs to all of you!