Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Girl-Talk

Tonight was one of those nights that catches you by surprise ... you know, the kind where you go to tuck your kids into bed and one of them comes out with the million dollar question?? Not that I encountered such a question per se, but in the midst of putting my girls to bed tonight a simple conversation about a missing giraffe figurine turned into a discussion that included God's sovereignty; the history of Sudan; the topic of nursing and adoptive nursing (that was the part where Daddy's ears suddenly burned and he called out, "What in the world are you talking about??" and the girls giggled, "Close the door, Mommy!"; the story of one of our failed adoptions; the definition of heritage; how Aunt Jenn can be both Mommy and "birthmom" to her four kids; and specifics relating to the girls' own adoption stories.

It was one of those nights when I kissed them and turned out the light and and felt like I had actually done something right ... when I was glad that I stayed and listened instead of hurrying off ... when I had visions of many years of girl-talks with my too-quickly growing girls.

Thank you for these precious lives intertwined with mine, Lord ... give me words of grace and wisdom and may there be many more nights like this with the sweet daughters You have entrusted to us!

5 comments:

Ragan said...

Thanks Steph, for reminding me to slow down and take the time to listen and talk to my kiddos :) You're such a great mommy!

ERIN lee said...

oh steph, it sounds completely precious! i can't wait to have talke like that with Jhocy. and thanks for the reminder of listening to our kids.

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to have conversations with my Kaitlyn. And thank you for reminding me to slow down and listen more!

The mom~ster said...

steph,
I am posting a comment here b/c I don't know how else to say hi...I saw your comment on my blog and couldn't quite place the name...the troops are up and moving already so I don't have time to read more than just the first post here...but i'm anxious to read more and catch up with you.

;o)

Katie said...

Your a great mom!