Thursday, April 10, 2008

What's in The Air?

Stress.

I sense it vibrating out of so many people these days, including myself and those closest to me.

I hear it in the angry honk of an impatient driver and in the sound of an overly sharp rebuke.

I see it in the lines of frustration around people's eyes and in their tired faces.

I taste it in the impatient words I sometimes speak to my children.

I feel it the headaches, backaches, and muscle aches that are so common to all of us lately.

"We wrestle not against flesh and blood" ... the enemy knows exactly where the fault lines are and what it takes to shake our lives. And right now, I think we are in the midst of quite a quake!

May we stand firm in the day of trouble ... and may we rest, for Jesus said: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest ..."

3 comments:

ERIN lee said...

steph you are so right! everyone is so stressed all the time. very well said and your right we have to stand firm in our faith and not let the stress over take us. thank for the reminder!

Jenn said...

Life is hard. I think we often imagine that life, if we do things right, will somehow settle down and be perfect! But I've come to realize that hard is not bad. Hard is just hard.
When stress has seemed to overwhelme me from every side I'm usually reminded to get perspective. What's really important? Keep my focus on "things above, not on the things of the earth" (col. 3). It's not always an easy thing to do. In fact, sometimes I have to just decide to do it, even if my emotions say the opposite! Thanks for the reminder that in Christ is our rest.

Unknown said...

Wow, I have been feeling the stress lately. I know that it is my perspective and priorities that are wrong, but it doesn't make it any easier to get on the right track.

thanks for the reminder to rest in Him. I have been focusing on things of the earth this week instead of things above!!