Saturday, February 02, 2008

"Sweet" Moments

Have I ever mentioned that Chileans really enjoy their ice cream? Although it is a bit different than ice cream in the States, it is very yummy. There are fruity flavors unique to Chile like lúcuma and chirimoya alegre, and even some interesting flavors like pasas al ron (rum raisin.) There are “sit down” ice creams shops with all kinds of sundaes and sweet treats, and “fast food” ice cream shops where you can get sundaes or milkshakes to go. Another favorite treat is ice cream on a stick, anything from popsicles to (my personal favorite) the “egocéntrico” which has a solid chocolate stick down the middle.

Here is a picture of the kids enjoying their ice cream on a hot summer day:

And here is one other favorite treat: the café helado, or literally “cold coffee.” It is cold coffee mixed with milk, sweetened with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream and topped with whipped cream. Very yummy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Est, you made me miss my favorite which is "mora banado en chocolate"...
ang

HollyMarie said...

I would love un cafe helado right about now!!! Wow that looks really yummy! :D

Living to Love said...

I must have some Chilean in me because I LOVE ice cream! Oh and for some really good news,,,you won our Marlee Belle Designs giveaway! Shoot us an email at marleebelledesigns@gmail.com to pick out a prize!!

dreamingBIGdreams said...

That ice cream looks super yummy!

Congrats! Did you see that you won the prize over at April's blog!!! I can't wait to see what she makes for you!!!

Anonymous said...

its true, since i have been living here I have eaten loads and loads of ice cream :) In canada we almost never have it ( maybe because it is not so so hot!!) At least I am in the nice temperate antofagasta, when I was in santiago a few days I was oompletely unable to focus because of the heat! I am always reading your blog and laughing at all of the things that you notice about chile, because of course they are all the things I also notice :)
que se esten muy bien:)
ADios
LAuren from canada