Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Retail Therapy (aka Shopping for Chile!)

retail therapy: the practice of shopping in order to make you feel happy, if only for a short time

What does shopping for a permanent overseas move look like? I call it "retail therapy" for fun, because it is pretty enjoyable to take off with my mom these days and spend hours in department stores and shopping malls. Not that we're necessarily shopping for the most exciting things, however! My list for Chile looks something like this:

  • 4 years' worth of undergarments for every member of the family (underwear, t-shirts, slips, stockings, socks, etc.) - though you can purchase these in Chile, most items will fall apart the first time through the washing machine!
  • New shoes for every family member (sneakers for Pedro, sandals for me, various children's shoes) - shoes are very expensive in Chile and wide sizes are practically impossible to find
  • Suitcases - we have a few already, and will take a total of 10 suitcases onboard the plane with us
  • Scrapbooking supplies - such as a dozen adhesive refills to last me for a good long while!
  • Theft-proof purse - I always look for one with an extra-long strap that goes over my head and under my arm to try and deter the possibility the best I can!

There are a few other things, to which the ever-growing pile of bags in my parents’ living room will attest! Now the real fun begins … packing it all!

No comments: