Caustic ingestion is caused when a child ingests a chemical like bleach or lye and it melts the esophagus. In September of 2006 Naoimi drank the liquid chemical lye, thinking it was water. In Liberia lye, which is clear like water, is used for washing clothes. Lye is kept in clear glass jars, the very same jars used for drinking water. Naoimi's esophagus was completely destroyed. She cannot eat or drink and her case is so severe that she cannot even swallow. Surgery to open her throat was performed twice in Liberia with no luck. So she was given a
G-Tube. In the United States a child would be fed Pediasure (a high calorie liquid diet) through their G-tube. In Liberia Pediasure is $3 a can so it is not often available to Naoimi. Because of this Naoimi is now 22lbs. She is 6 years old and the weight of a an American nine month old. Our daughter is receiving the best possible care in Liberia, but despite this loving care she is starving to death.
Naoimi's adoptive parents have created a website, entitled The Weather's $1 Adoption, with the purpose of raising money to bring Naoimi home before it is too late. If you would like to help, please visit their site atThe King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' -Matthew 25:40
Saturday, August 11, 2007
Naoimi is a 6-year old little girl in Liberia who suffers from caustic ingestion. Her adoptive parents explain that:
at 6:32 PM