Saturday, January 21, 2006

Adopting after Infertility

I suppose in all honesty, currently this blog would be better entitled "Stephanie's Ramblings," as it reflects those subjects which are on my heart rather than providing up-to-date information on the "Garcias2Chile." However, it is thrilling to think that one day very soon, we will be on Chilean soil and those subjects closest to my heart will be those that we live and breathe among the Chilean people and our ministry there! In the meantime, I hope those who read this blog will bear with me and possibly have their horizons expanded on other topics, such as this one today.

I did not write these thoughts, but when I read them they spoke to my heart because I, too, have passed through the deep waters which this woman has experienced. For those who know infertility firsthand and/or have adopted after infertility, maybe her words will speak to you as well. And for those who have not experienced this, perhaps you will gain a sensitivity to minister to women around you who are passing through this even now!

"Blessed [be] God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." 2 Corinthians 1:3,4

Thoughts on Becoming A Mother

There are women that become mothers without effort and though they are good mothers and love their children, I know that I will be better. I will be a better mother not because of genetics, or money or that I had read better books. But because I have struggled and toiled for this child. I have longed and waited. I have endured and planned over and over and over again. Like most things in life, the people who truly have appreciations are those who have struggled to attain their dreams. I will notice everything about my child. I will take the time to watch my child sleep, explore and discover. I will marvel at the miracle everyday for the rest of my life. I will be happy when I wake in the middle of the night to the sound of my child, knowing that I can comfort, hold and feed and that I am not waking to give myself another injection of profasi and cry tears of a broken dream, my dream will be crying for me. I count myself fortunate in this sense, that God has given me this insight, this special vision with which I will I will look upon my child that my friends will not see. Whether I parent a child, I give birth to or a child God leads me to...I will not be careless with my love. I will be a better mother for all that I have endured
I am a better Aunt
a better daughter
Neighbor
Friend and Sister
because I have known pain, known disillusionment, been betrayed by my own body, been tried by fire and a Hell many will never face, and given time, I stood tall. So now, when others hurt around me, I do not run from their pain in order to save myself from discomfort. I see it, mourn it and join them in theirs. I listen. And even through I cannot make it better, I can make it less lonely. I have learned the immense power of another hand hold tight to mine, of other eyes that moisten as they accept Harsh Truths, when life is beyond hard.

Nita

No comments: