Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Brave Builders & Bonus Babies

"You need a crafting table."

"What is a crafting table?"

"You know what a crafting table is!"

"Silas, listen. You need this and then you put the blue sword on this and look what happens."

"Oh. You can only do blue and not gold in that sword!"

"Let me try doing a golden."

"It's not going to work. I just killed my sheep. I just killed my sheep!"

"It's not doing anything. I tapped it but it's not doing anything. It's just making it spin. There we go! Now I have a blue. Dun, dun, dun, dun, duuuuhhhn."

"Dun, dun, da-da-dun, dun. Da-dun, da-dun-dun-dun-da-da-duuuuhn." (cue Star Wars theme)

If 2020 has kept most people apart, it has somehow drawn these two together. Silas and his cousin Kai video chat almost daily as they build worlds individually and together on electronic tablets. Older sisters and the occasional parent are usually accessories to these interactions, as someone's cell phone is needed. 

Today's conversation may have been the most humorous to date, as the five-year old cousin attempted to dictate letter by letter to the six-year old what he thought in all pre-school seriousness was a code for a "server" (which neither child could actually define.)

"P."

"P?"

"One P."

"P?"

"P with the line and the ball."

"J."

"Yay?"

(Louder.) "J."

"YAY?"

(Even louder.) "J!"

"Oh, J!"


Sweet Silas and Kai, may you always be fun-loving, adventurous, creative cousins! Hopefully sometime soon you will be reunited once again in person. In the meantime, I am happy you enjoy your virtual friendship and forays into the world of imagination under the watchful eyes of many siblings and your parents. I am so glad God sent to our family this pair of "bonus babies!"

No comments: